"I found The Joker's psyche disturbing, his dementia alarming - and his charm irresistible! What can I tell ya? The guy just did it for me."---Harley Quinn

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Classic Doctor Who- The First Doctor

After falling in love with 9 and 10 I decided I wanted to see all of Who so I could see the evolution of the character and its villains.
Starting with the First Doctor I find its not something I devote all my attention to. I can often watch it while shopping on ebay or something else that takes minimal attention. I will say that I do enjoy certain aspects of the show. The Doctor does not have his sonic screwdriver but instead uses experience and knowledge to make conclusions. He also gets some help from the two teachers hes taken on as companions.
I love his granddaughter because she is a companion whose love and loyalty need not be developed over time. We go in knowing theyre family and that they matter to each other. Id love to see a future companion be a distant relative of his, its more interesting than worrying over love interests and jealousy.
We meet the Daleks and instead of being these “no one can defeat them without extreme measures” creatures, theyre defeated with mud and rocks. Its amazing because they evolve from these almost simple villains into The Doctors greatest foe.
Being the First Doctor were to assume hes not traveled with humans before, seeing as how he kidnaps two people and forces them to believe him. After they agree to stay with him their travels seem fine, but when they reach The Dead Planet, well he risks all their lives simply because he had wanted to explore. I’m much happier that later on they decided his companions would be voluntary and that he wouldnt drag them into danger for curiosity unless they too were interested. (For example, when Ten and Rose are together and arrive on The Impossible Planet he tells her ‘yes it looks dangerous, should we head back?’ and they both just laugh. By this point it has become normal for the Doctor and his companion to engage in dangerous activities, but with consent.)
One thing I like about the TARDIS is that we see rooms beyond the control room. There’s bedrooms and a small kitchen area. We see how he gets food and water on a ship that takes on no resources. Switches are labeled but The Doctor believes the TARDIS is just a machine. He hasnt grown to love it or believe that it is more than just a ship.
My biggest qualm with this show is that they created a show where they travel to new and different worlds but build only 1-2 sets to show the outside. They’ll be traveling along in a forest then into a city and it will just be the same set only from a different angle, and its hardly even a well designed set. Not a lot of aesthetics, mostly just different colored walls or bizarre shaped plants. Even shows like Twilight Zone tried to have a bit more variety than that. But this is also only the first (and into second) season so it could just be they didnt want to splurge on a show if they weren’t sure it’d pay off in the end.
(This concludes Part 1 of Classic Doctor Who- The First Doctor Review)

No comments:

Post a Comment